A native Californian, Sabrena was raised in Madera, California, the daughter of a Puerto Rican mother and Mexican-American father. She is the product of a public school education -- kindergarten through graduate school.
After completing her Master's degree in Conservation Biology, Sabrena went to work for the Rainforest Alliance -- an international conservation organization. While there, Sabrena oversaw the development of a rainforest-themed, standards-based curriculum for grades k-6. She also managed a community micro-grants program that supported environmentally-friendly, largely woman-owned, small businesses.
She is the proud parent of two daughters, both current students in Ventura Unified schools. She has been an active volunteer and leader over the past 11 years. Through her volunteer work, Sabrena has helped to establish a school garden education program, supported early childhood literacy, promoted arts and music education and fostered relationships with local businesses.
She and her husband, Andrei Bobrow, moved to Ventura in 2004 to raise their children near his family. Andrei is a Pediatric Hospitalist with the Ventura County Medical Center.
BS in Biological Sciences, Concentration in Ecology - University of California, Irvine (1992)
MS in Conservation Biology - Durrell Institute of Conservation & Ecology (DICE), University of Canterbury, Kent (1996)
AWARDS & RECOGNITION-
VUSD Volunteer of the Year (2014)
Honorary Service Award, Lincoln (2013)
Honorary Service Award, Cabrillo (2016)
COMMUNITY SERVICE -
Arts Collaborative Committee (4 yrs) - A joint committee of VUSD, the City of Ventura and the Ventura Education Partnership (VEP)
- Parent Advisory Council (7 yrs)
- Measure Q - Parcel Tax Oversight Committee
- Technology Committee
- Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Committee
- Local Control and Accountability Program (LCAP) Community Input
- Arts & Music Master Plan Phase II Committee
- GATE Parent Liaison
Ventura Education Partnership (VEP) - The foundation that supports all VUSD schools
- President (current)
- Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Benefit Concert Chair
- Storyfest Committee
- VEPGrant Committee
- BRAVO Volunteer Coordinator
Lincoln Elementary School -
- PTA - President & Treasurer
- School Site Council
- Lincoln Victory Garden - Created a year-long garden education program for 4th/5th grade students that focuses on food production and healthy eating.
Cabrillo Middle School -
- School Site Council - Chairperson
- CMS Music Boosters - President
Foothill Technology High School -
- Parent, Faculty, Student Organization (PFSO) Vice President
- PFSO Grant Committee
- Starry, Starry Night Committee